Saturday, June 3, 2023

Dr. Carol R. Bradford, MD, MS, FACS Dean, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University

 

Dr. Carol R. Bradford, MD, MS, FACS

Dean, College of Medicine

Vice President for Health Sciences, Wexner Medical Center

Leslie H. and Abigail S. Wexner Dean’s Chair in Medicine

Professor, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery,

The Ohio State University

 

Dr. Bradford is an internationally recognized head and neck surgeon-scientist, currently serving as the 15th Dean of The Ohio State University College of Medicine.  Dr. Bradford received her master’s degree in microbiology/ immunology and her medical degree from the University of Michigan. She completed a residency in otolaryngology – head and neck surgery at the University of Michigan. Dr. Bradford specializes in head and neck cancer surgery, focusing her research on identifying and evaluating biomarkers that can predict outcomes. She has published >370 peer-reviewed articles and contributed to more than 20 book chapters (>34.000 citations; h-index=90). Dr. Bradford was elected as the first woman president of the American Head and Neck Society in 2012, and was also inducted into the National Academy of Medicine in 2014. She was the president of the Society of University Otolaryngologists in 2017 and also served as president of the American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS) in 2020 .

 

My first question for you is why did you choose ENT? What attracted you to the field?

 

Great question! I usually call it Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, and I chose that field early in medical school. As a medical student at the University of Michigan, I was a class advocate and a student council member. I met great people who were pursuing Otolaryngology, including one of the senior class advocates. She and I talked about it, and I was immediately interested. And as I learned more about the field, I found the anatomy really fascinating. I like to say for otolaryngology: it's who we are as people. It's how we interact with the world around us. It's all ages, in both general otolaryngology and in the diverse subspecialties. I just think the specialty has a lot to do with who we are as human beings.

 

As a head and neck cancer clinician, I really wanted to meet patients when they are at what I consider to be a crossroads in their lives. All those things — and having the ability as a clinician to impact what really is the essence of how we interact with the world — were incredibly important to me. The field is filled with  amazing human beings. It just is!

 

Is there something you don't like about either the specialty or the sub-specialty that you're into?

 

Curiously, no! There are a lot of decisions I've wavered on in life, but my choice to pursue otolaryngology is one decision that I have never questioned — not for one moment or one day. I absolutely love the discipline, the field, the care and the complexity of the care. It is an amazing field and it is getting to be less of a best-kept secret. It has medicine and surgery — almost a bit of everything in it.

 

Yeah, it's definitely a very, very broad spectrum there. And so many, so many different options.

 

Yes, and I always like to say that most fields of medicine have a medical discipline and a surgical discipline — such as neurology-neurosurgery, nephrology-urology — but otolaryngology does not. There is not a medical discipline of otolaryngology. It is an anatomic region, not an organ system. You cross over a lot of different organ systems, like skin aerodigestive and respiratory special senses. For me, it is an absolutely fascinating field!

 

Yes, absolutely. And everybody's going to want to go into it!

 

There is also a lot of innovation in the field, like cochlear implantation and free-flap reconstruction. I have had the privilege of working with some of the first head and neck free flap reconstruction practitioners. 3D printing is really fascinating, and I was at the ground level with some of those discoveries with my colleagues. The innovation piece is really interesting.

 

Yes, and of course, the recent advances in robotic surgery or endoscopic surgery and I know Ohio State is really big on both of those.

 

Yes, robotic, endoscopic, laser, the list just keeps going! There is a lot of technology and innovation in the field.

 

You've had an amazing, extremely successful career so far. Growing up, I never had to face some of the gender-related barriers that I presume a female leader in academic medicine has to face. But obviously coming from an international background, I had to face some obstacles myself. So, I think I can remotely relate to what you might have faced there, but I really wanted to hear how hard it was to get established and recognized in the academic surgery world as a female person.

 

Great question! I'll share a short story that happened while I was in medical school at Michigan. I was fortunate and very blessed to be selected to join the residency training program at Michigan. They normally accepted four residents per year, but that year they only took two residents because they were launching a new T32-funded research training program.  So, that year it was even more challenging to match into Otolaryngology at Michigan. And at that time, essentially all the faculty and nearly all the residents ahead of me had been men. There was one female faculty member, Dr. Amelia Drake; she joined the faculty for a few months before pursuing a pediatric otolaryngology fellowship elsewhere. She was one of the only female faculty members ahead of me in otolaryngology at Michigan and that was for just six months. I was the only female resident. Then, when I joined the faculty, I was the only female faculty. But aside from that, there were many moments where I was sort of the only woman in the room, and in fact in the program. But it started to change. The chair at the time was Dr. Chuck Krause, and before anyone was focused on diversity, equity and inclusion, he had established a Diversity Committee in the department in the late 1980s. He was well ahead of his time and deeply committed to diversity. And I can honestly say, aside from being the only woman in the room — and I do think that that does come with different lived experiences — I actually did have a lot of support, both as a resident and as a faculty member. But I do think that becoming a resident and then a faculty member allowed me to also have those conversations that sort of changed the paradigm of how we can become more diverse and how can we be more inclusive in our selection processes.

 

One of the things that was a time-related issue for me was whether it was acceptable to have children during residency. I was married prior to starting medical school, and I think at that time it really was not acceptable to have children during residency. I was asked about it and it was pretty clear that it would not be accepted. That doesn't happen now, thankfully, but I complied because that was sort of the expectation and waited to have children. I am a proud parent of two wonderful children, and my daughter is actually a fourth-year medical student at the University of Michigan. I had my children early on as a faculty member. And again, even in those moments, I really was lucky to have incredible mentorship, sponsorship and support for my career. That was an important part of my career trajectory: having those key mentors and sponsors who supported me. There was one oculoplastic surgeon at Michigan who to this day is a dear friend, and she was also having her kids at about the same time I was, so I had some peer mentorship. But I think you almost have to become part of a system to change a system.

 

That brings me to my next question. It sounds like you played a major role at that, but obviously, this paradigm has now changed. So system-wise, that's different now. But how did this these experiences affected you as a person? How did they shape you as a as a person?

 

My experiences have made me very aware of the need to be inclusive, to give everybody a sense of belonging and to pay real attention to strategies that can mitigate and overcome both implicit and explicit bias. I am also very interested in developing programs  that help give everybody a chance to thrive and be successful. And again, I am grateful to have had many opportunities to develop those programs as chair, as executive vice dean and now as Dean. I am also blessed to work with some great collaborators to write about those topics and publish in those areas, and also to speak at our national meetings.

 

Many years ago, I did a national presentation on implicit bias, and back then it was probably a little early to be talking about it. There were two PhDs on the panel who clearly stated the science behind implicit bias, and it's pretty hard to think that people don't have implicit bias once you actually learn the science behind it. We all do. But how do we help people understand their implicit biases and overcome them? It's interesting. I asked, “Do you think you have implicit bias?” trying to assess the audience's understanding of the subject. As I recall, about 20% of the people said no. The point is having these conversations and understanding that our lived experiences do impact how we think about the world around us and how we approach conversations, and all of us have different lived experiences. You have to recognize that one person's journey is not the same as what somebody else has experienced in their life. And I think it is critical to be really sensitive and seek to understand how those different lived experiences impact how people approach the world.

 

Technically, the IMG background does not fall within the spectrum of what we call diversity. But I was wondering besides the technical definition of it, do you think that IMGs – faculty, residents or fellows- contribute to the diversity of a program?

 

Absolutely! I think all forms of diversity are valued. International medical graduates absolutely do contribute to the diversity of our training programs, and our training programs define the diversity of the future physician workforce, which is also really important and there is robust data to support that. Our goal to achieve equitable and top-tier health care outcomes is related to diversity of thought, perspectives, backgrounds and approaches. Clearly there is scientific data that connects the diversity of the health care workforce to achieving health equity goals and outcomes. So absolutely, yes! And I will say, in that same context, we all know that residency training programs are getting more and more competitive. Part of the reason for that in the United States right now is that the number of medical student slots at medical schools keeps growing, but there has not been a compensatory increase in graduate medical education spots. And so again, IMGs and U.S. medical grads are the pool applying for all these positions. The system does not line up all the applicants to each and every training program perfectly — not everyone gets a match — but I do think the training programs are becoming more competitive. And then the question is, how are IMGs evaluated along with U.S. medical graduates? Of course, every department and program does that a little bit differently. At my former institution, we had somebody who had gone to medical school somewhere else and then had become very involved in research programs and projects at Michigan, and he and others did match into our training program. I follow these amazing people's careers to this day and they are all incredibly successful! Here at Ohio State, we have some specifically designed positions to help with this. For example, in internal medicine we have an IMG program that international medical graduates can specifically apply to, and there’s plenty of room for innovation in this space as well.

 

I’m wondering what your experience has been with them. You said that you still in touch with some of them.

 

Yes, I do! Everybody is unique and different. One person actually repeated residency and continues to be on the faculty. The challenge is the competition for those spots. IMG candidates should be evaluated for their qualifications, just like every other candidate.

 

Understood. And now obviously in all your previous roles and your current role, I presume you have reviewed hundreds, if not thousands of applications for every level: resident fellow and faculty positions.

 

Yes. I have had the privilege of interviewing many, many candidates for positions.

 

So as a person with so much experience in that, I'm curious to hear if there are things that you can tell me that stand out in your eyes. I presume everybody applying for a position at Ohio State, or Michigan before that, is an exemplary candidate on paper. But I'm curious to see what things stand out for you, either on the resume or during the interview.

 

Under my leadership at both the Ohio State College of Medicine and the University of Michigan Medical School, we implemented best practices for faculty searches that are applicable to residents, faculty and staff. We aim to deploy inclusive hiring and selection processes, and part of that is implicit bias training. Every search — whether it be for a resident or faculty applicant, a dean or another leader — should be governed by a search process with a search committee that has been educated in best practices for searches on implicit bias. There should always be a diversity representative, there should be diversity of membership on the search committee, and all voices need to be heard. And then, you need to evaluate which characteristics and qualities you are seeking.

 

Regarding resident applications, we ask ourselves these questions: What does the application say about the background and the experiences of the individual? How did the applicant do in medical school? Michigan and Ohio State are educating leaders, so they put strong emphasis on not only clinical training, but also on identifying future leaders in the field. There is a strong emphasis on education, scholarship and potentially discovery. Those are all the objective. But once people get an interview, it is almost like starting over again. I look for what matters to be a physician and a resident, such as work ethic. Also, I love to think about the whole person, so sometimes we would ask, “What book would you recommend we read?” It's a fun question because we should all be expanding our minds, and it's always fun to see what books people have recently read. I also think being able to function effectively on a team is a great thing.

 

There is also a difference between having a reference who says a candidate will be a great resident and having a reference who says a candidate has done extraordinary things and will be a leader or the next Nobel laureate. Different lived experiences are important, too: Were you a college athlete? Have you overcome adversity? Do you have empathy and compassion? How well do you communicate? These aren't just random qualities. These are the qualities that are important to be a great physician who cares for patients, families and communities. The evaluations must be inclusive and holistic in all aspects because we all have different lived experiences. Even if two people are in the same room conducting an interview, hearing exactly the same thing, they will each filter it through a different lens. Valuing the perspectives of all members of a search committee is really important. It is a fascinating process!

 

I wonder, are there red flags? You know, things that you might pick up that would be a deal breaker for you.

 

Honesty and integrity are non-negotiable. They are not easy to pick up on in an interview, but honesty and integrity are the core values. There are a lot of careers that are easier than a career in medicine. Medicine takes a lot of humility. Graceful self-promotion is great, but humility is a strong quality, because every day there is something we don't know yet, we haven't discovered yet or we just don't know. To be a fabulous doctor, you must have an enormous amount of humility.

 

And it sounds like it's a very fine balance there, or at least that's the way I see it. I think part of the solution there is to be mindful of how damaging arrogance can be for relationships.

 

I am a big fan of behavioral-based interviewing techniques, which means you ask people to talk about their experiences. An example would be if two people were trying to accomplish something together and one of them had to negatively impact a colleague in order to advance. That would not be a good thing and this person would probably not work well in a residency program. And I don't even know if that has ever happened.

 

I see. Thank you for that! It seems like the the academic world is changing. We are transitioning -or at least that's that's the way I see it- from individuals and individual “stars” to teams. And I see that most of the surgeon-scientists today are working within larger groups. So it's not a one person show anymore, I think. I was wondering what do you think about that, and what in your opinion would make someone successful in academic otolaryngology.

 

In an academic world and a promotion pathway, you can be an individual scientist or a team-based scientist, and those are different parallel career tracks. Specifically in otolaryngology and with clinician-scientists, there is a lot to be gained from team-based work. It's that diversity of thought that makes a difference. Also, the reality is that as a head and neck surgeon, you are going to have to spend some days seeing patients in the clinic and then doing surgical procedures. Other disciplines can be sort of 80% research, but I think it is really hard in otolaryngology, especially early in one's career, to be so heavily weighted in the laboratory. It is hard to stay up with your patients and with modern-day surgery and to stay competent. There is a movement for teams to work together to accomplish goals. In translational research there can be teams working on clinical trials, biospecimens or cell lines. There is a lot of team science that happens and it's a good thing.

 

How did you maintain a balance between the two or three different things? I mean the clinic, your research and your leadership positions. You've been the Department Chair before, you're the Dean now. How do you balance all those things?

 

Great question! It’s one of the questions I have asked applicants: “If you had a five-day week, how would you divvy it up?” And it's funny because some people say a lot of surgery, but then when are you going to see the patients? Because you really need to meet them beforehand. Over the course of my 30-plus-year career, the time I have spent doing different things has varied widely. Currently I am most heavily focused on administration due to being the dean of the College of Medicine here at Ohio State. It is always hard to balance everything. You also must have some work-life balance or integration as well.

 

There were seasons of my career that I was very clinically active. I began my clinical career at the VA hospital. That is also where my lab was at the time, and I had taken a Fellow from the World Health Organization to help work in the lab. He was an otolaryngologist from a different country who was looking to come to the United States and ultimately did so! He worked in my lab for a long time. So out of the gate, I was both in the lab and in the clinic, and I was a section chief at the VA.

 

There were moments we had lots of funding and then moments of less funding. I still maintain a clinic schedule and an OR schedule. When I moved into the chair role, that was when I really had to begin to meaningfully cut back on my clinical practice while continuing the research. And then the next big change was when I began serving as executive vice dean. It was an enormous job that took boatloads of time. And then you just start to realize that it gets harder and harder. I served as the co-leader of a major project on our specialized program of research excellence (SPORE) for 12 years. And as that was ending, I was becoming more of a co-investigator rather than a PI on some very large grants and contributing in that way. I was still clinically active, but less so because of the commitments.

 

Then fast forward to coming to Ohio State to serve as the dean. A few things automatically happened: one was that I didn't have my clinical practice that I'd built over 30 years with a lot of follow up of cancer patients, so that changed. All my research was based upon HIPAA-protected clinical trials, and that research was difficult to transfer to a new institution. So I still do publish that work and other work, but currently, I do not have grant funding and I am heavily focused on my administration efforts.

 

Your career and your efforts will evolve. When you get a big grant, you have to make some adjustments in the other things. And when you have a big administrative role, you have to continue making adjustments in what you are doing with the rest of your time. The fun part is these careers offer so much diversity, and the types of roles you can have and play, which is part of why academic medicine is fascinating. There is so much to it!

 

Do you you still have a clinical component in your work to this day?

Yes, but my practice is quite limited. I have clinic on Monday afternoons in The James Cancer Hospital.  I see patients with cutaneous malignancies and parotid/thyroid conditions.

 

 

It always seems so exciting to me how one can transition from one to the other and have different percentages, like you said, of research or clinical work or admin work and go back and forth. It's really fascinating for me. I think it's so much more interesting than having a set schedule for say, 30 years or so. So going back to research, I wanted to ask you how important you feel that research is for residency applications. And my follow up question on that would be about quality versus quantity in research, for this level in particular. So no, not faculty level, but residency level.

 

Yes, and the programs differ in their emphasis. There is a diversity of otolaryngology programs in our country. Because it has become more and more competitive, we look at research, scores, the letters of recommendation, etc.

 

I am going to sound like an academician, and maybe that’s because I am, but research is how you advance a field. In any realm, it is how you advance diversity, equity and inclusion. It is how you advance well-being. Anything that you write about or present at a national meeting is, in theory, about changing the world, hopefully for the positive. Scholarship, broadly defined, is important. For some, that could be bench or translational research or health services research, for some it could be quality and safety, or something else entirely. The point is that work that demonstrates that you're working creatively to either inform or advance a field, I think, is an important characteristic and quality.

 

It is sort of the lifelong learning. How are we making the world a better place? Because in patient care, it is one patient at a time. You are not going to change the discipline by providing care one patient at a time, but it could be biotech innovation, like 3D printing, which is not necessarily a research grant project. All those things count. Quality is always more important than quantity. You also have to look at what opportunities you have. A high-impact paper has much more impact than a case report. A case series is better than a case report. All are important, but the more impactful the work, the more significant the science. The impact of the work makes a difference.

 

It's really interesting that you bring up the parameter of evaluating where someone begins from, which is very important. Because it's not always the same, right? Not everyone has the same opportunities or the same experiences.

Yes, and I think the other point is broadly defined: impact and scholarship. I have worked on promotion decisions in partnership with provosts now at two different places for many years. The hardest thing to measure is the impact — there is no objective way. There's grant funding and publications, but what we are really trying to discern is impact. There are lots of ways to impact a field. You can have a great idea and develop something novel. You can write and talk about best practices for search processes. There are a lot of interesting ways to define scholarship. But I think everybody is looking for sort of the sparkle, the unique thing that somebody is going to bring to the training program.

 

Thank you so much Dean Bradford!

No comments:

Post a Comment