Monday, October 16, 2023

Dr Mark Edward P. Prince - University of Michigan

 

Mark Edward P. Prince, MD, FRCS(C), FACS

Charles J. Krause MD Collegiate Professor of Otolaryngology & Chair, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery

University of Michigan

 

Dr Mark Prince earned his MD at Dalhousie University in Halifax and completed a residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the same Institution. He then trained in advanced head and neck oncology and microvascular reconstructive surgery at the University of Michigan. Currently he is the Chair of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Michigan, and previously served as the Program Director at the same Department. Dr Prince has >200 published papers. He also co-leads a collaborative education initiative at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi, Ghana.

 

 




Dr Prince, you have a very unique career pathway with a background in the armed forces and also in engineering. So, my question for you is why did you end up choosing medicine and otolaryngology in particular?

On a superficial level, it's probably an easy question to answer but in reality, it's much more difficult! I think that both of those experiences, engineering and the Navy, taught me something pertinent to medicine. Engineering taught me a lot about how to think and gave me some ideas about how to approach solving a problem. That was an important set of skills I acquired and led me to a realization, that there was a lot that an individual could contribute through an intentional problem-solving approach. The armed forces experience came from a desire to serve my country, but also to make a difference in the world. The combination of my education as an engineer and my training in the navy gave me a great foundation to build on.

So how does that lead to medicine? Well, I don't think it naturally leads to medicine necessarily. It could lead almost anywhere. My story about how I got to medicine is not so unique. One factor was my older brother who entered into the field of medicine. I think hearing from him stories about what he was learning in medical school, combined with some of the stories my mother told me - she was a nurse at one point in her life - made me more interested in the human condition. Staying in Halifax in Medical School also kept me close to my girlfriend (now wife) and medicine seemed like a great place to make a difference and maybe to apply some of the skills that I was collecting along the way through these other things that I'd been doing. At this point in my life, it's really hard to know exactly what I was thinking back then. Sometimes I wonder if it just seemed like a pretty cool thing to be doing, medicine, with a lot of opportunity, and maybe that's not a bad reason to choose to get into something.

 

I see. That's a that's a really unique way to think about it, I think. Now, I wonder, is there something that you do not like about the specialty or the particular field of head and neck?

I didn't really answer the second part of your first question. I'm thinking now, why did I end up in otolaryngology? So, I'll just reflect on that a little bit because it's perhaps pertinent to the second question about what I don't like in otolaryngology. I was trained as a naval officer and as an engineer. Then I went to medical school, and I switched my career path in the Navy to a Medical Officer. I was what they call a General Duty Medical Officer, which is essentially a primary care physician. I also was lucky to be able to specialize in hyperbaric and diving medicine. When my time in the Navy started to come to an end, I was looking for other opportunities. Otolaryngology, which is something I had some exposure to in medical school, seemed like an interesting combination of clinical work, procedural work, and had the continuity of care, which was something I really loved about primary care.

 I think that's what drew me to Otolaryngology - It is a very unique combination medicine and surgery with continuity of care. There are others that are similar, but none that has the same degree of flexibility. You can be very clinical, you can be very procedural, you can be somewhere in between. You can look after people for years and years or you can see them for a short period of time. Otolaryngology has an amazing ability for you to design the practice that you want.

To answer your next question, whether there is anything that I would change. The obvious answer is that it'd be great if the world didn't need people like me, right? I mean, wouldn't it be wonderful if I could expend my energy, enthusiasm and my training doing something else? Not that I don't enjoy what I'm doing now. I love it because I do think I help people, but it would be an amazing world where nobody suffered from head and neck cancer.

It seems like a fanciful or superficial answer, but it's a truthful answer. If I were to give you something that's a little more immediate to my daily life and that of my patients, it would be to shorten our operating room turnover time.

 

Yeah, absolutely. And you said that it might sound superficial, but I have to tell you, it doesn't sound superficial at all to me. From an epidemiology or preventive medicine perspective, it's very deep, right? Someone getting in the OR to receive a procedure like that is a systemic failure on so many levels, prevention-wise. So, it's really deep.

There is a really neat book called “Upstream: The Quest to Solve Problems Before They Happen”, by Dan Heath. The book really reminds us about how we should be thinking about solving problems. In the United States, Canada and many other places in the world, we are very good at spending a huge amount of effort and energy to solve a problem when it becomes visible. Which is fabulous in one sense; if we spent the same amount of energy effort upstream from where the problem occurred, we might create even more remarkable results though.

I'll give you a non-head neck cancer example: type 2 diabetes. We're inventing wonderful drugs, which help people with their type 2 diabetes. I think that's incredibly valuable- it’s really amazing that we have developed these remarkable new treatments and we should keep doing that. At the same time, we should also think about providing better nutrition, opportunities for people to get exercise, education and eradicating inequities regarding nutrition and access to health care for less privileged groups. That approach would also have an incredible impact on type 2 diabetes. But it's a very different way of solving the problem than our typical approach. It’s an approach to preventing the problem from occurring. Much harder to do, I think, because sometimes the interventions required to solve the problem upstream seem abstract ideas whereas once you see Type 2 diabetes develop it is a concrete problem. How are you going to get fresh fruit and vegetables into an inner city? I mean, that seems a lot more difficult than treating somebody with type 2 diabetes with a new drug.

 

And it can probably have a greater impact, like you said, than fixing the problem at the point that it becomes really obvious. Now, I had the question actually here about how your previous experiences and background affected your career and your leadership style, but I think you have told me a lot about that already.

Let me tell you one more thing. I think a lot of people have misconceptions about how the armed forces and leadership work. I suspect that many people think that you get a rank and then you can just tell people what to do, and they run off and do it. That's really not how it works, though! I think the armed forces give really great leadership training. The training focuses on educating you about how to effectively work with teams, and how to give responsibility and authority at the right level so that people are ready and able to make decisions. In the Armed Forces, and in medicine, we need to train people to do their job at the highest level possible and then give them the authority and the responsibility to make decisions.

A leader in the Armed forces must be a great manager of people. They have to be able to identify strengths and weaknesses and work on those with the individuals they lead. In a very real way, the goal is to develop each individuals’ skills to the highest level possible. That's not hierarchical, that's no just telling somebody to do something. The team must trust and respect each other enough to do whatever they're asked to do. That trust is not easy to develop, right? That's not just wearing a rank on your shoulder that does that. To be a good leader you have constantly work to achieve the best for every member of your team.  I am not saying you have to join the armed forces to learn how to be a good leader. But people often ask me “How did being in the Navy made you a good leader? You just wear a rank, and you tell people what to do”. The answer is the Armed Forces has a focus on individual growth and teamwork that works very well in most circumstances. Importantly they do not think that excellent leadership skills come with a rank and the invest in developing those skills.

 

In my mind, at least, what you're describing is a very progressive leadership style. And it's really important that you explained how the Navy background led to that. I can definitely see that now. And it's good that we are having this in medicine as well today, at least in some places! Now, moving back to the Department, it is consistently ranked among the top in the country every year, maybe for decades. What did you do, personally and as a team in general, to first achieve, and then retain this distinction?

Well, the two questions are very much linked, because the first thing that comes to mind is the culture that is present, not just in my department, but at the University of Michigan, in general. That culture is a culture of great generosity and collaboration. I think that people here really are interested in success as it relates to the team and the members of the team, not solely individual success. The generosity piece refers to the fact that I've seen people here sharing all kinds of information, knowledge, new techniques, and even new thoughts that they have, about how to solve current problems or future problems. People here are willing to do that, because they recruit a lot of really good people, decent people who want to do the best, but also because the success of the team is seen as at least equal, if not more important than the success of any one individual.

I think our department reflects that culture, perhaps at a level that's even a little bit higher than the general level at Michigan. We don't measure value just on the amount of money somebody makes in their clinic or the number of R01s that somebody has in their lab, or the number of papers written. We believe that our people all bring value in many different ways to the department, and we believe that everybody comes here, with the intention of trying to do their best and to make things work.

Culture is really something that makes Michigan unique. I have benefited from that culture! If you look at my CV and the things that I've done, I've been fortunate to be in a place that's been so supportive and with people who've really helped me achieve the things that I have done with the members of my team.

Now as far as what have I done to retain this distinction for our department- what I have done really is what prior Chairs have done: tried to sustain and grow the best culture. We focus a lot on our culture here. We have a 360-degree evaluation around the values that our department has: civility, inclusion, engagement, accountability. We're asking people to evaluate each other and to judge their performance simply based on how they adhere to those values and demonstrate those values. It's part of our effort to have not only the most inclusive environment possible, but also one that's very supportive and behaves in the right way in every situation.

 

Thank you! My next question is somewhat related to this one. And it is about what makes a good surgeon. What makes a good surgeon? Is it talent or is it character that's most important in your opinion?

A lot of times students will ask me “what are you looking for in a in a resident” or, faculty members might ask me “what are you looking for in a faculty member?”. My answer is that what makes a good surgeon is the same things that make a good person. What makes a good surgeon is the same thing that makes a decent person, somebody that is always going to try to do their best and do the best for the people around them, whether that's for patients or other members of their team or whomever.

My dad used to like to use the word decent. I think what he meant by that, was just to treat people the very best way you can. One of the really important factors to being a decent person is not being afraid to say, “I don't know” or “somebody else does it better than me” or “I need help”. I believe that to be a really good surgeon, you need to have the humility to say those things. They're often true and if you can't ask for help or you can't send a patient to somebody else that, does it better than you or is more experienced, then you're probably not going to be the very best surgeon you can be.

Is it character or talent? I think, having trained a lot of residents and worked with a lot of medical students, most people can be trained to be technically good surgeons. It's a technical skill! There are some people that may have issues that make it difficult for them to acquire those skills, but even those individuals in the right environment can acquire them. So, to me, the technical aspects of being a surgeon, which is where talent can often make surgery look easier are not as important as the character. I really do think having the right approach to patient care and working with others is the really critical piece to being a great surgeon.

 

I see. Now, you obviously you have trained a lot of residents, and you said that you get asked a lot what are you looking for in a resident? My question will be slightly different. What is the difference between a good and a great resident?

I think, Jason, a lot of what makes a good resident is what I just reflected on. That, the resident who is really committed to always doing the right thing in every aspect of their training is going to be a great resident and doctor. When I say doing the right thing, I mean, for example that if you don't know something, you won’t be afraid to say so and you'll go and learn it. I believe that the drive to always do the very best, and do the right thing, that leads to a lot of wonderful things. Because you'll never take on something you shouldn't. You're never going to not keep up with your continuing education. You're never going to treat people poorly. We all make mistakes, and we do things that we regret, but if ultimately, your goal is to really try to do the right thing, you'll fix those things as well. And you will apologize and do whatever else needs to be done to fix things. We spend a lot of time trying to identify the students that have this quality in them.

 

Thank you! Now, I can't avoid asking you about research- you're doing cancer stem cell research, which is honestly amazing, and you have produced an incredible amount of work in this field. How and when did research become a part of your career? We talked about engineering, and we talked about your career in the Army before. But when did you start becoming interested in research as well?

Not until quite late, I’d say. In medical school we were asked to do some projects and not necessarily publish. I can't say that I was particularly interested in doing something very novel or very innovative and committing a lot of time to that. I was mostly focused on learning how to be a good doctor.

Interestingly, a couple of things happened once I started working as a General Duty Medical Officer and in hyperbaric medicine. I became aware that there was a lot of opportunity in diving medicine for advancement and new learning, and that got me interested in reading a little bit more of the literature and really trying to understand some of the science behind hyperbaric medicine.

I was fortunate I had a chance to go to the Defense and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, in Toronto where some really cool stuff is being done in aerospace and diving medicine. I didn't actually start doing anything then, but when I joined my Otolaryngology training program in Halifax, at Dalhousie University I was interested in trying to do learn something about research and doing something unique. I was very fortunate to run into one of my very first research mentors, Joseph Nasser. Dr Nasser, was interested in craniofacial growth and development. I won't go into the details of the project, but I spent a significant part of my time as a resident -all fitted in around clinical work because we didn't have a research block- doing some basic research.

When I finished my residency, I came to Michigan for my fellowship. And I was very lucky there to bump into Dr Tom Carey, who's quite well known in the field of head neck cancer. He had some really interesting perspectives on biology and how it might affect response to cancer treatment. So, I ended up dabbling in his lab. He was very generous, and I learned about basic science research from him. That experience in Michigan really made me very excited about biology, cancer, and basic science research. In retrospect it wasn't so purposeful- it was just an opportunity that came up that I took advantage of. Then there was some intentionality on my part about learning more about it and getting engaged. That led to an interest in cancer research. That's how it started: with me as a resident with a mentor who was very excited about science and then a fellowship, that gave me some opportunity to learn a lot more.

 

I know you have at least some ongoing research projects, if I'm not mistaken. How are you able to balance your clinical and admin duties today, along with your research projects?

Well, first of all, I don't balance them in the sense that they're not equal! The amount of effort that I have put into different things throughout my whole career has varied depending upon the needs of whatever was going on, the amount of time I had, and what was happening in my personal life. So, I manage them by working hard, and by being intentional about understanding how much effort I can apply to various things. Then the part that's great fun and makes it all possible is engaging with great colleagues, collaborators and teammates so you don't have to do it all yourself! I think that anybody that feels that they do it all themselves is probably misguided. For me, I've been very intentional through my life, to make sure that I that I'm a great team member and work hard as part of a team.

There are times when the rest of the team is focusing a lot more on the lab. Right now, a couple of my partners do all of that, while I'm spending a lot of time running the Department and trying to continue my clinical practice. It's really the team that will allow you to do a tremendous amount, much more than you could ever do on your own. Developing meaningful relationships, where you share the triumphs and sometimes the failures is what leads to success!

 

My final question is a more personal one. How would you -as an academic surgeon- would like to be remembered? What would you like to be remembered for?

For me, it's a very simple question to answer. If a few people thought that Mark Prince did his best to help others, and it made a difference to them then I would be very happy with that. If more than a few were able to say that, I'd be ecstatic!

 

Thank you for sharing these, Dr Prince!

No comments:

Post a Comment